3/15/2009

How important is a AC Power Filter / Surge Protector for LCD Flat Panel Displays?

I bought a 26" LCD at futureshop, and the sales associate told me I should buy a power bar that has a clean filter and surge protector because it'll protect my tv and improve picture quality. Is this really necessary (it cost 120$ plus tax CDN) ... Should I return it and get a regular power bar for 5 bux and then just invest in better hi-def cables?


1. You have to not only protect your AC line but also any RF line (cable, sat line or antenna) that comes into the set or into an STB that feeds the set.

2. Check your homeowners insurance to see if you're covered against lightning or surges. That may help you make a decision about how much protection you want to buy.

3. Not all surge protectors are the same. If you look at the specs on the box, you'll see how many joules it will protect against. The higher the joules, the better the protection. The $120 unit may be more than you need, and being pushed as part of a TV sale, I wouldn't be surprised if it's overpriced for what you got.

4. If I knew that I had good insurance coverage, I'd buy a relatively inexpensive unit (not $5) just to avoid the inconvenience of being without a TV.

THAT is OVERKILL....

You don't need $120 worth of protection...

Get a $30 unit that protects your TV with an insurance policy...

A surge supressor LIMITS DAMAGE to your TV set....it does not STOP IT....

It reduces the cost of repair....

The power supply inside your TV set stops EMI AND RFI noise from getting into the TV circuitry.....so you don't need the Filtering either....

a surge protector is important for all electronics as far as the filter goes you wont even be able to tell the difference on an lcd tv

No comments: